Announcement Day: BC Sports Hall of Fame introduces Class of 2023 selectionsOctober 25, 2022
Vancouver, B.C. – The BC Sports Hall of Fame revealed its 2023 Induction Class during a press conference this morning. Joining the honoured member ranks in June of 2023 are six athletes, four builder-coaches, two teams, two pioneers, one media member and the winner of the prestigious W.A.C. Bennett Award.
The 2023 Induction Class being welcomed into the Hall of Champions includes:
- Mitch Berger – Football
- Dennis Kearns – Ice Hockey
- Kelsey Serwa – Ski Cross
- Jaimie Borisoff – Wheelchair Basketball
- Susan Butt – Tennis
- Mary-Anne Walz – Softball
- Wynn Gmitroski – Athletics
- Deb Huband – Basketball
- Jim Kojima – Judo
- Carla Qualtrough – Para Sports
- 1971 Richmond Roadrunners Men’s Lacrosse
- Team Members: Stan Ackerman (public relations), Ed Ashcroft, Barry Atkinson, Chuck Bourne, Gary Bregani, Jim Bregani, Jack Buchanan, Bill Clearie, Randy Crowe (president), Roy Crowe, Larry Dean, Dave Durante, Mal Follis (secretary-treasurer), Ted Gernaey, Bob Holmes, Doug May, Grant McCauley, Harvey Olsen, Gord Osinchuk, Tom Penway, Larry Phillips (team manager), Ron Phillips (coach and general manager), Jerry Pinder, Ron Pinder, Mike Safianuk, Pat Safianuk, Butch Skirzyk (assistant coach), Mike Smith, Fred Sutton (equipment manager), Bob Tasker, Brian Tasker, Dave Tasker, Bob Taylor (trainer), Dave Taylor, Gil Tetrault, Lyle Trowski, Walt Weaver, Sandy Wheelhouse
- 2012 Penticton Vees Men’s Hockey
- Team Members: Nick Amies, Nick Babich, Chad Bannor, Kyle Beaulieu, Joey Benik, Nick Buchanan, Cole Buckley, Ryan Cooper, Kameran Crawford, Dexter Dancs, Cody DePourcq, Ryan Gropp, Steven Fogarty, Michael Garteig, Bryce Gervais, Shane Hanna, Fred Harbinson (coach and general manager), Garrett Hendrickson, Chris Hurry, Alex Jewell, Logan Johnston, DJ Jones, Chad Katunar, Zachery Lindsay, Curtis Loik, Mario Lucia, Cameron Marks, Jordan McCallum, Mark McLellan, Graham Millar, Mike Moran, Wade Murphy, Grant Nicholson, Carter Popoff, Connor Reilly, Mike Reilly, Ryan Reilly, Nic Renyard, Brady Shaw, Travis St. Denis, Riley Stadel, Troy Stecher, Zach Urban, Daniel Urbani
- Eleanor (Young) Stonehouse – Tennis
- Brian Day – Sports Medicine
- Dan Russell
W.A.C. Bennett Award
- Jake Kerr / Jeff Mooney
“After months of anticipation, we’re energized to begin telling the stories and marking the outstanding achievements of our Class of 2023,” said Tom Mayenknecht, Chair of the BC Sports Hall of Fame. “Honouring the past – and inspiring the future – is at the very heart of the mission of the BC Sports Hall of Fame and this year’s honourees truly exemplify the best of sport in this province and beyond. On behalf of our Board of Trustees, Selection Committee chaired by Wendy Pattenden and management team led by Chief Executive Nicholas Cartmell, we congratulate our deserving inductees and look forward to coming together again in person to fully honour the Class of 2023 at our BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala next year.”
Induction into the BC Sports Hall of Fame is the highest sporting honour in British Columbia, celebrating the extraordinary individuals and moments that make up the fabric of B.C.’s diverse sport history.
Since 1966, the BC Sports Hall of Fame has inducted 442 individuals and 67 teams to its Hall of Champions, ensuring their legacies will continue to inspire future generations. The formal Induction Gala for the Class of 2023 is scheduled to be held in June 2023, with details to be announced in the coming months.
For access to the Class of 2023 photo gallery, please visit: PHOTOS
About the BC Sports Hall of Fame:
The BC Sports Hall of Fame celebrates extraordinary achievement in B.C. sport history and inspires future generations to make their dreams come true. As a non-profit charitable organization, the Hall curates an astounding collection of 27,000 heritage artifacts and 100,000 archival documents representing 150-years of sport history in British Columbia. Through Hero in You Youth Education Programs, the BC Sports Hall of Fame reaches over 6,500 young learners each year across the province, advancing a mission of building outstanding community legacies by honouring the past and inspiring the future.
For more information, please visit bcsportshall.com or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram @bcsportshall
BC Sports Hall of Fame